Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

where are my hedgehogs?

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings where are my hedgehogs?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

well, this week it’s been raining heavily from Tuesday and still going.

However, the rain, I thought, was on and off yesterday night, and heavy most of the night tonight – I saw just one hedgehog, which ate some dried food and had some water – but that’s it. Yesterday, even though the rain was on and off _ I didn’t see one single hedgehog, nor did my camera pick anything up other than 1 vid of a cat and 1 vid of a fox.

And the dog meat, and dried food was untouched, feeding station clean, which is the very first time that has happened – since I first started feeding them in June. I haven’t changed their food.

I think it’s too early for hibernation, as they need to be eating a lot now to fatten up ready for winter – however, the hedgehog house seems to be occupied. Not sure if the hedgehog I saw tonight is the one sleeping in the home, but I don’t think so.

So why have they disappeared, is it because they just sleep through the rain, and wait to come out when it’s a dry night?

I’m missing them so much

Hi hedgie lover.
    I know how you feel, my two regular hogs that visit nightly and also nap in the hog houses have both gone awol the past two nights, I hope they are ok. I wonder if this is the norm for them to visit other areas on their patch. Food dishes have been untouched for two nights now. Hope they return soon, yours too.

Hi Hedgie lover
    Going by what I have observed on my trail cam, hedgehogs really hate the rain! I see the poor things zipping like lightning across the lawn to get into the feeding station. They will then wait in the doorway looking out, and suddenly make a run for it into the flowerbeds. Everything is far more leisurely when it’s dry. This could be one explanation you haven’t seen as many?

Although I think wet ground also means a lot more natural food about, like worms, which are easier to dig out in the rain. That means they may be less inclined to visit feeding stations.
    Fingers crossed they return soon.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog