Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

2024 February – our spiky visitors have returned

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings 2024 February – our spiky visitors have returned

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Hi all…
    I’ve seen a particular hedgehog in my garden for the past 2/3 years, it lives in the bamboo thicket in the back garden, I often hear it shuffling about in the night. Today around 8pm, still Quite light it was walking about the lawn looking for slugs maybe?
    Should I leave it out some food?
    I don’t want to attract rats tho.

Hi Nic

To my horror there was a rat out the garden a couple of weeks ago one afternoon racing into the border then back into the corner of the garden by the shed. It was where I’d put food in the border for the daytime hog but I’ve not seen rats eating kitten biscuits before so hopefully after something else which has now gone. Haven’t seen it since happily, I emptied the shed to make sure it wasn’t nesting in there & checked the small gap underneath & no sign at all.

The hog activity is busy in the feeder each night & looks as if there must be fistycuffs regularly by the mess they leave behind, just as well there’s an entrance tunnel each end of the feeder for escape purposes! Water & food dishes all over the place, poo everywhere & pee sometimes too. Just crumbs left in the food dish so someone is happy.

I often see one very early evening in the feeder long before darkness falls, we’ve met a few times when I haven’t topped up the food in time of an evening & it’s already in there. Doesn’t bat an eyelid just a glance up at me than carries on eating.

I’m glad you have bats, I’ve started leaving the curtains & window open in the evening as darkness arrives with a small light on in the room to attract insects outside & get a very good display of bat flying against the sky before the light goes completely. There’s honeysuckle in the garden which attracts night flying moths etc & a lot of trees around which also helps with insects flying, plus I’ve noticed a general increase in insects in the air so plenty of food available for our batty friends on warm evenings on the rare occasion we get them.

Nic

Hi Annie

Probably shouldn’t say this, but no rat around for a while. Although no doubt one will be back some time or another!

There is definitely at least one female hog around. One night a male was trying to mount a female and a second male came and biffed him off! He was ‘not amused’ and promptly turned round and biffed the second one back. Needless to say the female quickly made her escape and left the boisterous boys to their squabbles! Just hope some hoglets eventually turn up – although not from that encounter, I think.

Sounds a lovely way to watch the bats. It’s lovely to see them.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Hedgehog